This post would outline all the difference between Lekki and Ibeju Lekki which are both in Lagos state. Ibeju Lekki and Lekki are both located in Lagos, Nigeria. People are often confused with each other because of their proximity to each other and the obvious fact that they share the same name.
In this article, we look at the difference between Ibeju Lekki and Lekki in terms of population, history, economy, and location in Nigeria.
Where is Lekki Located?
Lekki is Nigerian most beautiful city in the southeast of Lagos with a lot of celebrities and top companies doing business there. The city is a commercial and residential hub for different kinds of businesses and superstars. Lekki is a spit of land next to Victoria Island and Ikoyi in Lagos located in Eti Osa Local Government of Lagos state. On the south is the Atlantic Ocean, to the north is the Lagos Lagoon, and to the east is the Lekki Lagoon.
What are the Advantages of Living in Lekki?
Below are some of the advantages of living in Lekki today;
- Lekki is an upper-class area of Lagos State, with a population of about 300,000 people. It is located immediately after Victoria Island, along Lagos Lagoon in proximity to Ikoyi, Eti-Osa, Apapa, and Surulere local government areas.
- The Lekki Free Trade Zone is also located within its boundaries.
- Former Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Fashola initiated plans for a new city at Lekki in 2003.
- The Eko Atlantic City Project is also located in proximity to Lekki, which is a newly planned city being developed by the real estate company, Eko Atlantic.
- The Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) is to be relocated from its current location in Lagos Island to a new state-of-the-art building in Lekki, with plans for it to be completed by 2025.
- There are lots of good pay jobs in Lekki
What Are The Disadvantages Of Living In Lekki?
Lekki also has its disadvantages and below are some of the disadvantages of living in Lekki:
- It is very expensive to live in Lekki, it is always more expensive to buy things in Lekki than anywhere else.
- The transportation system isn’t good as in other places so you will be spending a lot on transportation taking private taxis since it is a small city with no straight roads to take buses
- There are many fraudsters in Lekki
Where is Ibeju Lekki Located?
Ibeju-Lekki is a Local Government Area in Lagos State, Nigeria. It was created out of Ojo Local Government Area on 27 August 1991. The local government was named Lekki before the renowned Lekki city under Eti Osa. Although Eti Osa shares boundaries with Ibeju Lekki there are both different local governments.
The area has an estimated population of 234,637 according to the last census in 2006. The postal code of the area is 112.
The local government headquarters are located at Ibeju-Lekki town which lies approximately 10 kilometers (6 miles) southeast of Lagos city center.
What Are The Advantages of Living In Ibeju Lekki
Below are some of the advantages of living in Ibeju Lekki
- Ibeju Lekki currently has some of the most beautiful, largest, and most affordable estates in Lagos state
- Ibeju Lekki is the new eye of Lagos state where development is focused
- There are many big companies now relocating to Ibeju Lekki including Indomie, Coca-cola, and now the renowned Dangote refinery.
- Houses are cheaper at Ibeju Lekki by 100% compared to Lekki in Eti Osa
What Are The Disadvantages of Living In Ibeju Lekki
Ibeju Lekki also has its disadvantages and below are some of the disadvantages of living in Ibeju Lekki.
- There is no international airport in Ibeju-Lekki as of now, but there are plans to build one soon by the Lagos State government as approved by the federal government
- The roads are not tarred so driving can be quite stressful, especially during rainy seasons, however, construction has begun on tarring all roads in Ibeju-Lekki before 2026 ends.
- The area is still very much underdeveloped with villages
Difference Between Lekki and Ibeju Lekki
If you are a new resident of Lagos, you’ve heard of Lagos Mainland, Lagos Island, and Surulere. You may have also heard of Ibeju Lekki.
But did you know that they are actually all separate areas and under different local government areas entirely? These are not different parts of one city; they are in fact several towns on different sides of an inlet from Lagos mainland to Victoria Island.
Below are some of the major Difference Between Lekki and Ibeju Lekki.
- Ibeju Lekki is actually an autonomous community with its own local government called Ibeju Lekki Local Government while Lekki is a city under Eti Osa Local Government
- The boundaries between Ibeju Lekki and Lekki (Eti Osa) begin around Sangotedo town, some kilometers away from Novare Mall.
- Ibeju Lekki has some of the largest refineries while Lekki is a town with commercial offices
- Ibeju Lekki is older down Lekki while Lekki is a town that is younger than Ibeju Lekki
Is Lekki Nigeria Safe?
Yes, Lekki is perfectly safe. The area has become a hub for industrialists, businesses, and people that just want to live in a serene environment away from Lagos’s hustle-bustle.
It’s also one of Nigeria’s top spots for real estate investment as homes here are always in demand because of their peaceful surroundings.
Is Ibeju-Lekki the Same as Lekki?
No, they are two different locations under two different local governments. But both of them are in Lagos state and share boundaries with each other.
Is Ibeju-Lekki a Good Place to Live?
Yes, because of its safety and distance from Lagos town. It’s also a good place to live and do business since it’s now becoming the Lagos business hub.
Where Does Ibeju-Lekki Start From?
Ibeju-Lekki is a large local government area, starting just after Sangotedo and extending all the way to Epe.
If you are planning to relocate or start a business in Lagos, it is important to know both areas. This way, you can select which area works best for your lifestyle, budget, and investment goals. Both have their own set of benefits, but if we had to choose one over another, we would recommend Ibeju Lekki as our first choice.
We hope that you enjoyed reading about these two popular neighborhoods and feel more confident about making an informed decision when choosing where to live.