The beauty of getting a Canadian Visa is the fact that it comes with a work permit. Canadian Open Work Permit Application is open to anyone who has an interest to work in Canada. This guide would help you understand everything about the Canadian Open Work Permit for international immigrants. Before you can move to Canada from a foreign country with the intention of working, you must first get a work permit which eventually always goes with a Visa.
They are different types of work permits and the Canadian Open Work Permit is one of them. However, everything about work permit might sound strange to you but no need to worry because we will be explaining everything you need to know about a work permit, specifically, Canadian Open Work Permit, what it is, how to get one, the procedures, and a lot more to help you with your desire to travel abroad and work.
So if traveling to Canada to start a life and work there has been your dream then you should consider reading this article carefully till the end so you can learn everything you need to know about Canadian Open Work Permit and don’t make mistakes while trying to process your papers.
What Is Canadian Open Work Permit?
A Canada Open Work Permit is a work permit type that does not limit you to one job or one employee. With Canada Open Work Permit, you can work multiple jobs, switch jobs, and switch employers anytime you so wished.
Basically, we all know that a work permit is what is required by any country before any foreigner can get to work abroad. A work permit is just as important as your Visa if you really want to get a job once you have gone abroad.
However, what then is this Canadian Open Work Permit? To make things easier, I will say that the Canadian Open Work Permit is a work permit that is not only centered on a particular kind of job. This means, if you get an open work permit, you can work anywhere you find a vacancy When you’re in Canada.
With this type of work permit, you can easily switch employers while the permit is still effective, which is more advantageous than other types of permits where you are only allowed to have a single employer.
Types of Canadian Open Work Permits
The Canadian Open Work Permit is of 3 types each of which has its own restrictions and requirements. Below is the list of the 3 different types of Canada Open work permits.
1. Unrestricted work permit: With this type of permit, you are not restricted to changing employer and location. You can change job industries and work flexibly on multiple jobs or with any employer that you want.
2. Occupation Restricted work permit: The Canada-restricted open work permit allows anyone to change employer but restricts you from changing business industry or job type/role. You can change employer but can’t change occupation or job role.
3. Location Restricted work permit: You can change employer but can’t change work location.
The type of open work permit you will get depends on several factors, one of which is the documents you submitted during the application process.
Canadian Open Work Permit Requirments
Depending on the kind of open work permit you will get, you might have to do a few more submissions to get your Canada Open Work Permit.
Below are some of the requirements you need to meet in other to get a Canadian open work permit
- You must be an international student who has graduated from a Canadian educational institution and is qualified for a Post-Graduation Work Permit.
- A bearer of a temporary resident permit.
- A student who is unable to pay for their education.
- A candidate for permanent residency in Canada.
- A member of the household of a Canadian citizen who has applied for permanent residency.
- The spouse or common-law partner of an overseas worker or student.
- A family member, protected individual, refugee applicant, or refugee.
- A student employee in special programs.
If you are planning on being a temporary worker, then you must also meet the requirements we have listed below in addition to that above to qualify to get an open work permit.
- You must be sure that you can do either one of these three things; leave Canada when your work visa expires; that you can support yourself and your family in Canada; and that you have the money to return home.
- You must be sure that you don’t have any criminal history.
- You must show that you do not pose a threat to Canada’s national security.
- Your health must be good.
- Even if the officer offers you restricted work permission, you still need to be prepared to abide by the terms of your open permit.
- You must provide evidence that you won’t work for a company that provides escort, erotic dancing, or striptease services.
How to Apply for a Canada Open Work Permit?
Before you can apply and get an open work permit, you need to, first of all, get a job offer. This means you have already applied for a job, maybe online or through any means, and gotten an offer from the company you applied for to start soon.
Once you have gotten the job, the next thing you need to do is apply to get an open work permit alongside your Visa and you’re good to go.
Canada Visa and Open Work Permit Application process.
If you are sure you have met all the requirements listed above, then you should follow the steps below to get your Visa and work permit ready. Everything will be done in your home country.
You can apply online using your credentials or the information from your bank account by visiting the website of the Government of Canada and creating an account or submitting a paper application. Alternatively, you can submit a hard copy of the below-listed documents.
- IMM 1295 – Application for Work Permit Made Outside of Canada;
- Schedule 1 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa;
- IMM 5645 – Family Information Form;
- IMM 5409 – Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (if applicable);
- IMM 5476 – Use of Representative Form (if applicable);
- IMM 5475 – Authority to Release Personal Information to a Designated Individual (if applicable);
Other Required Documents Include:
- Your passport must be valid for at least six months after the day you intend to enter Canada;
- A photocopy of all the pages of your passport;
- Two photographs that comply with the picture requirements;
- Genuine employment offer from your employer;
- Your résumé or CV; – Police record certificates; – Proof of current immigration status (if your country of residency is different from your country of citizenship); – Your diplomas and certificates of education;
- A copy of your marriage license, if any;
- A duplicate of each child’s birth certificate (if applicable)
Traveling To Canada (POE/POF
If everything else goes as expected, sure the Canadian consulate would grant your Open Work Permit. At this point, you need to start making arrangements to travel to Canada by working on your flight fare and accommodation arrangements in Canada.
You will be required to also provide a 6 months bank statement known as Proof of funds. This is the amount you’ll use to prove to the consulate that you are capable of taking care of yourself financially in Canada. You can learn more about how to get proof of funds here and find agents who can provide you with a POF package.
When you arrive in Canada, the Port of Entry (PoE) officers will scrutinize your documents and also your bank statement to be sure you have the amount there. Don’t worry the agents can also help you provide you with money to use for that. Just ask the agents for the options they have available.